0.3.1 (download latest git snapshot)
Revision 0.3.0, released 28-09-2015
- Fix to __doc__ use in setup.py to make -O0 installation mode working.
- Copyright notice added to source code files.
- Per-OID access control added to 'writecache' variation module.
- Fix to PID file creation when running Python 3.
- Fix to datafile.py tool that apparently stopped working.
- Fix to snmpwalk Timeticks parser
- Simulator now depends on the latest pysnmp features introduced in
pysnmp version 4.3.0
- Introducing initial MIB compiler (PySMI) integration. Most command-line
tools can now be given MIB symbols rather than OIDs. Requested
MIBs will be automatically downloaded from http://mibs.snmplabs.com/ .
- New Redis-backed variation module implemented to let users record into
and replay simulation data from noSQL key-value store optionally
involving server-side Lua scripting.
- Full-line comments (#-based) and empty lines are now allowed in data files.
- When recording .snmprec data, hex everything if a non-alpha/numeric
literal is present in a value. This eliminates possible issues with
unescaped contents in a SQL-based recorder.
- New --max-varbinds option can now be used for limiting the number
of variable bindings in SNMP response message on a per-engine-id
basis. Global default is now 64 variable bindings.
- Multiple SNMP ContextEngineID can now be configured per each of possibly
many SNMP Engine IDs.
- SNMP configuration logging reworked for better clarity.
- The notification module now binds to the same local interface through
which Simulator received CommandRequest triggering notification.
Also it supports 'bindaddr' option to override the above behaviour on
a per-OID basis.
- The sql variation module not switches default SQL transaction isolation
level to 'READ COMMITTED'. Isolation level (0-3) could now be specified
on per-instance basis through 'isolationlevel' option.
- The subprocess variation module improved to expose more SNMP engine
parameters to user process.
- Switched to the latest pysnmp's requestObserver facility for getting
request details from pysnmp core.
- Numeric module's 'function' parameter now accepts optional arguments.
- The snmprec.py tool improved to optionally survive SNMP PDU-level errors
and keep walking remote Agent using an OID derived from the failed one.
- Configurable SNMP request timeout and retry count settings now supported
by the snmprec.py tool.
- The --context-engine-id option support added to snmprec.py tool.
- Hex values can now be passed to --v3-context-* options to snmprec.py tool
- Variation modules options separators can now be escaped by doubling or
- tripling them.
- All logging moved to Python logging framework. Some more log targets (such
as remote syslog) added.
- Low-level SNMP and ASN.1 debugging implemented for all relevant scripts.
- Configure both plain-text and hashed versions of snmpCommunityName,
contextName whenever its length does not exceed 32 chars. That might ease
ContextName usage for Agent addressing.
- Wheel distribution format now supported.
- Fix to log file autorotation feature.
- Fix to pcap2dev.py not to loose the last trailing OID in capture.
- Fix to variation module recordContexts isolation to make it dedicated
to each Variaiton Module+Agent instance.
- Fix to snmpEngine configuration code at notification.py variation module.
- Fixes to --logging-method formatting in --help output.
- Fix to numeric.py module value wrapping feature.
- Fix to MIB selection code to prevent (and report) LCD access.
- Multiple comma-separated debug options now supported.
- PostgreSQL is now supported by sql variation module.
- Fix to sql.py variation module to work with Python older than 2.5.
- Fix to sql.py variation module to avoid 'Unread result found' MySQL error.
- The snmpwalk OPAQUE: Float: syntax is now supported.
- Fix to HEX value handling in snmpwalk format handler.
- Fix to absolute file log path on Windows.
- Fix to off-by-one errorIndex as reported by error.py and writecache.py
- Fix to record parsers/builders to fail on empty values.
- Fix to snmprec.py & pcap2dev.py in part of processed OIDs counting.
- A pcap2dev.py tool for building SNMP Simulator data files from network
packet captures (through libpcap) implemented.
- Automatic online data file index rebuild on data file timestamp
- The sql variation module tweaked to be better compliant with
Python DB API 2.0 so that it can now work with MySQL out of
the box. Module options also reworked to support named
DB connect() parameters.
- Simulator can now run many independent SNMP engines each with its
own set of data files listening at dedicated transport endpoints.
At least pysnmp 4.2.5 is required for this feature to work.
- Variation module API changed to allow recording module
to communicate to its host time of the next probe to occur.
- Variation module API changed so that SNMP engine ID is only available
in variate() context. This is due to the new multi-engine ID design.
- New --args-from-file command-line parameter added to snmpsimd.py to
allow a large number of SNMP engines configured to Simulator. The
--agent-endpoint*-list family of options discontinued in favor of
multiple --agent-*-endpoint options read from args file.
- The --version option of snmprec.py renamed into --protocol-version.
- Fixes to time-based log file rotation implementation.
- Fixes to numeric variation module. Also, taglist parameter is now
defaulted into all numerical types.
- Fix to PID file creation on daemonization.
- Simulator now supports a list of interfaces to listen on through
the --agent-endpoint*-list= family of options. It's intended
for simulation a very large pool of devices.
- Introducing new command-line utility "datafile.py" designed to manage data
files. Features include: merging, splitting, sorting, de-duplicating,
convertion between data file formats.
- Automatic log file rotation feature implemented.
A number of improvements to the mib2dev.py tool:
- Colunmar objects for table indices are now automatically populated
from index values
- Tables are can now be populated with arbitrary number of rows
- Hex values can now be given at the prompt using the 0x syntax
- Default automatic value ranges for integers are now much smaller
to increase a chance of automatic selection.
- Values ranges can now be set for each SNMP type separately.
- When generating values, make N probes choosing random values for
- Produced values are sorted and de-duplicated.
- Fix to OID range checking when specified at the command-line.
- Help messages made more readable and complete.
- Data file search code fixed (not to crash Simulator in corner cases)
- Variable conflict fixed that broke --v2c-arch option operations.
- Fix to OIDs ordering in --v2c-arch GETBULK responder.
- Source code linted and improved.
- Multiple USM user entries with potentially different auth&priv settings
can now be configured to snmpsimd.py.
- Centralized logging facility added. Logging into syslog or file is
- Simulator process daemonization and privileges drop implemented.
- More logging added into snmpsimd.py, snmprec.py and variation modules
to ease the understanding of their operation.
- The --quiet flag of snmprec.py now depricated in favor of "null"
- Variation modules execution environment extended to provide contexts
for three scopes: record, agent and module. This simplifies modules
implementation in terms of storing and managing state/configuration
informaton on per-OID/per-Agent and global basis.
- The snmprec.py tool now supports DNS names in c/l target parameter.
- New 'cumulative' flag added to the numeric.py variation module.
- The multiplex module improved to allow .snmprec file selection via
- Fatal exceptions are now fully logged.
- Type checking is now performed on SET operation at writecache module.
- Fix to community names '/'-normalization at transport address based
variation logic. It appeared broken on Windows only since 0.2.1.
- Fix to snmprec.py behaviour on missing variation module directory.
- Fix to .snmpwalk grammar parser to support Network Address type tag.
- Fix to multiplex.py module to let its multiple instances working
independently (each for a subtree).
- Multiple fixes and re-work of the numeric.py module
- Fix to snmprec.py tool to write snmprec data to stderr in binary mode.
- Fix to OID search in a .snmprec in case of a subtree configured
on the last line of .snmprec file.
- Fix to line separator character used in file logger -- now it's
WARNING: this release brings some backward incompatibilities in:
Please read the changes below for more information.
- variation modules names and options
- snmpsimd.py community names (in Windows platform)
- stock variation modules installation location
- sql variation module OID format stored in database
- License updated to vanilla
to ease Simulator use in commercial applications.
- Variation modules can now participate in .snmprec production what
can be used for capturing additional information about SNMP Agent
being snapshotted in .snmprec files.
The following changes have been made to the system:
- the snmprec.py tool can be passed variation module name.
- variation modules can now define the 'record' callable which
will be given a chance to influence snmprec record being written.
- existing 'process' callable in variation modules renamed into
'variate' for clarity.
- variation modules' init() and shutdown() methods accept **context,
'mode' parameter being passed indicating current operation mode.
- variation modules running in recording mode can communicate to
the upper levels that they either won't produce any data on the
current invocation or request another round of SNMP Agent walk.
- Variation modules options now take shape of a key-value pairs. This
might break backward compatibility with 0.2.0!
- The counter.py and gauge.py variation modules merged into a single
numeric.py module which also supports INTEGER&TIMETICKS values as
well as recording feature.
- The involatilecache.py and volatilecache.py modules merged into a
single writecache.py module which also supports SET value verification
against per-OID access list.
- The error.py variation module extended to support variation based on
- The delay.py variation module extended to support variation based on
SET value and time of date.
- Format of the OID stored in SQL database changed in a backward incompatible
- Recording functionality added to the delay.py and numeric.py modules.
- The new "multiplex" variation module added to be able to record
and replay a sequence of .snmprec files ordered by time.
- SNMP GETBULK operation is now supported by snmprec.py.
- Redesign of grammar objects -- the new concept is that they
are only responsible for basic record layout, fields normalization.
and SNMP types resolution. However complex field formatting (such
as grammar-specific tag modifiers) is now up to higher-level
- Simulator-generated community names now uses '/' as path separator
regardless of the platform. This allows for unified Simulator view
in terms of community and context names across the platforms.
- Snapshot files recording now works under Python3.
- Install data and variation modules into package root to make easy_install
work again. Search these directories at runtime as a last resort - prefer
system or home locations as it is more natural to keep changing data there.
- Simulator is now more tolerant to duplicate variation modules (just ignores
recently found) and catches duplicate data files (also ignores more recent).
- On Windows, search both data and variation modules into %PROGRAMFILES%
Major overhaul aimed at adding value variation features to the Simulator
- data files may now hold not only terminal OIDs but also OID subtrees
- pluggable value variation modules interfaces and basic modules added
- write support added through the use of appropriate variation modules
- SQL backend for keeping and modifying SNMP snapshots added in form of
a value variation module
- subprocess execution variation module added what could be used
for external process invocation on SNMP request to Simulator
- SNMP Notification Originator variation module added what could be
used for sending SNMP TRAP/INFORM messages to SNMP entities
on SNMP requests to Simulator
- SNMP snapshots now being called 'data files' rather than 'device files'
which is a legacy term.
- Data files and variation modules are now installed into platform-specific
- Data files and variation modules are now looked up at several,
platform-specific, locations including $HOME/.snmpsim
- Simulator data files indices are now created and kept in a dedicated
temporary directory which is also configurable though snmpsimd command-line.
- Example data files simplified, more native and foreign snapshots added.
- Fix to snmprec.py not to record end-of-mib.
- Fix to py2exe settings of setup.py
- Net-SNMP's .snmpwalk files created with the "snmpwalk -ObentU" command
can now be used by the Simulator directly.
- SimpleAgentPro's .sapwalk files support added to Simulator.
- Fixes to --start-oid & --stop-oid params to make the working again.
- Simulator reports supported device files types on startup.
- Shared device files now supported. Snapshots can now be indicated
as shared through a symbolic link. Managers can use different
credentials to access and modify the same set of Managed Objects.
- Simulator device file selection by a combination of ContextName,
Transport ID and source address implemented.
- Rudimentary MIB write support added (snmpset now works). Still need to
support MIB-defined constraints.
- Fix to snmpsimd.py to ignore possibly missing .dbm file on failed
- Fix to OID search code what used to always pick the first OID in file
while looking for EOL (Python3 only).
- Simulator device file selection by a combination of Community,
Transport ID and source address implemented (for --v2c-arch mode).
- UDP/IPv6 and UNIX domain socket transports support added to
snmpsimd.py and snmprec.py tools.
- The snmpsimd.py and snmprec.py tools now support additional SNMPv3
authentication (SHA) and encryption (3DES, AES192, AES256) algorithms
provided by pysnmp.
- Simulator now supports binding to and listening at multiple local
endpoints. The --agent-address & --agent-port options are now obsolete.
- The snmprec.py tool Agent address specification syntax unified with that
- Multiple --device-dir c/l options are now supported by snmpsimd.py.
- Some runtime diagnostics added to snmprec.py.
- The snmpsimd.py tool unconditionally rebuilds existing indices of
- Device files handling indexing made faster by not calling .tell().
That also required opening files in 'binary' mode to make sure offset
calculation will work correctly.
- Attempt to open DBM in "fast" and "unsync" modes when building indices
to speed-up index generation.
- Package meta information updated.
- Fix to snmprec.py to make SNMP debugging working again.
- Fix to snmprec.py to properly support non-default SNMP context name.
- Fix to infinite loop possibly occurring at OID search routine.
- Fix to DBM key type (string vs byte issue)
- Fix to mib2dev.py MIB path handling.
- Fix to index object to make "snmpwalk -c index" work again.
- Fix to index object registration in --v2c-arch mode.
- Fix to SNMPv2 exception objects translation into SNMPv1 PDU in the
- Initial revision of the mib2dev.py tool.
- Some more MIB-originated device files added.
- Some more py2k refactoring (some features did not work otherwise).
- Fix to values tags matching at snmpsimd.py (simulator did not work
- Fixes to sys.exc_info invocation.
- Major overhawl for Python 2.4 -- 3.2 compatibility:
- drop explicit long integer type use
- map()/filter() replaced with list comprehension
- apply() replaced with */**args
- dictionary operations made 2K/3K compatible
- division operator made 2K/3K compatible
- exception syntax made 2K/3K compatible
- tuple function arguments resolved to scalars to become py3k compatible
- --agent-port handling bug fixed in snmprec.py
- --v3-arch command-line flag added to save on large number of
[expensive] addV1System() calls.
- setuptools dependencies improved
- Simulator now builds a table of loaded device files in a
dedicated 'index' context.
- Use OS-specific file extension separator for better portability.
- Support .db extensions voluntarily added by gdbm on OS X.
- Fix to null-typed value read from .dump device file.
- Legacy SNMPv1/v2c community string generation policy dropped.
- SNMPv3 VACM initialization dropped altogether, as the specialized
SMI backend used by Simulator does not implement access control.
- Fix to support zero-length device files.
- Ignore value syntax errors in device files occured when responding.
- Optionally validate device file data while indexing.
- Allow forced device files re-indexing.
- Fix to broken IP address serialization code in recorder.
Need help? Try snmpsim mailing lists or contact us.